My Researcher Dashboard
My Researcher Dashboard is available in two versions. The individual version is automatically available to anyone who has contributed to UTS in the followings for the current year or previous four years:
- Generating external research income into UTS
- Authoring research outputs
- Supervising or completing HDR students
The Dashboard displays and allows you to explore your own data for the above categories all in one place. This can be useful for creating summary data of achievements for grant or promotion applications, of for exploring these data sets in detail.
The management version is available to anyone with an appropriate management level position, for example Deans, Associate Deans Research, Faculty Research Managers, Heads of School etc. This version of the dashboard shows an aggregated view of the same data sets. The aggregation level depends on your access, and may be school, faculty or all of UTS. You can also see the research data of individuals within the unit you have access to. Access approval through ServiceConnect is required. This version of the Dashboard is useful to research leaders and managers for reporting on aggregated research performance, for example.
My Researcher Dashboard is an online tool that provides information about research income, research outputs (publications and non-traditional research outputs), and HDR enrolments and completions, for the current year and for the past four years. This information has been collected for many years now and has been held in several different university databases, including human resources, financial and research management. You may have previously requested this information and found it difficult to obtain, at least in a timely fashion. My Researcher Dashboard will deliver a summary of this information live to date, that is, with overnight updating. Individuals will be able to see their own research information, research managers will be able to see the same information aggregated across the workforce they manage as well as the information of the individuals they manage. The dashboard provides easy, transparent and up to date access by an individual to their research data held in several of the university’s databases.
Anyone who has received research income, generated research outputs or supervised research students in the current year to date and over the previous four years will have access to the individual researcher dashboard. Staff responsible for the management of research will have access to the manager version, for example Deans, Associate Deans Research, Faculty Research Managers. Research managers can see your research data, however if you have multiple assignments, data is split equally across the assignments and they can only see the data that is allocated to their school or faculty. Managers with UTS level access will be able to see all of your data as they have access across all organizational units. If you want your supervisor to view your complete data, you can print or save a copy of “My Researcher Dashboard Report” to share with them.
My Researcher Dashboard brings together three main sets of research-related data:
- Publications and other related outputs such as NTROs (Non-Traditional Research Outputs) are currently held in the Symplectic Elements database, managed through the Research Office.
- Research Income (including grants and donations); data are held in both the Research Master (RM) database in the form of Research Projects, and in the Financial General Ledger, in the form of research income received. The former is managed by the Research Office, the latter by the Financial Services Unit (FSU).
- Higher Degree by Research (HDR) student enrolment, progression and completions data, which are held in the Course Administration System Solution (CASS) database, and owned by the Graduate Research School (GRS).
Data comes from five different databases:
- Financial General Ledger (owner: FSU) External Research Income
- Research Master (owner: Research Office) Research Project information, including co-participants and funders
- Symplectic Elements (owner: Research Office) Research Outputs information, including co-authors
- CASS (Curriculum Advisory and Support Service) (owner: SAU /GRS) HDR enrolments and progression data
- Human Resources (owner: HRU) Organisational structure, staff number, appointment level, organisational unit
To gain access to the Researcher Dashboard log a service request via Service Connect.
Depending on your position, this request may need to be approved. Access is based on multiple levels/roles: Leadership – UTS Leadership – Faculty Leadership – School Leadership – GRS Researcher UTS, Faculty, School and GRS level access is granted based on position or as approved by the Assistant DVC-R and Business Unit Director, Dean or Head of School via service request. With Leadership access you can see information related to your HR Organisational Unit(s) e.g. Dean of Faculty A will have access to information relating to all staff belonging to Faculty A; Dean of Faculty B will have access to information relating to all staff belonging to Faculty B and so on. With GRS Access you will additionally have access to HDR Loads, Completions and Stage tracking for all of UTS.
Researcher access is automatically granted to staff members who, within the current year or previous four years, have received external research income, published research outputs or supervised HDR students. With Researcher access you can see only your own researcher data.
IBM recommend Internet Explorer when using Cognos applications such as My Researcher Dashboard. If you are using a MAC, then Mozilla Firefox ESR is recommended.
Clicking on the HELP link at the top right of the filter bar on the dashboard will launch a Data Hub page about the dashboard in a new window. If you cannot find an answer on that page or the linked resources, then contact one of the Champions based in your area. The full list of Champions is on the Data Hub page here.
Follow this trouble shooting process:
- Should you have access already?
- Are you able to access Cognos BI?
- Yes: can you access the following path: Team Content > Research Reporting > Reports > Researcher Dashboard > Researcher Dashboard Reports and see the My Researcher Dashboard link ? If not, you do not have access: follow the steps to get access above.
- No: check the URL and ensure it is correct. (https://bi.uts.edu.au)
- Are you having problems connecting to any other web pages?
- Yes: try again, and if problem persists, call IT helpdesk to log a problem accessing any web page.
- No: try again, and if problem persists, call IT helpdesk to log a problem accessing Cognos detailing the error, staff ID, name, and contact details.